Ubuntu Package Archive is back!

Scott Ritchie scott at open-vote.org
Sun Oct 17 07:01:58 CDT 2010

When I switched Ubuntu package hosting to a launchpad PPA (away from
manual .deb hosting), one thing lost was the ease of archiving old
versions, since Launchpad doesn't provide this.

I've written some scripts to manually copy the packages from the PPA to
form a new archive and am hosting it at the old location
http://wine.budgetdedicated.com/archive/  -- currently it carries all
the Wine packages that have been on the Ubuntu Wine PPA since 1.3.3 or so.

The main use of the archive is to aid in regression testing - installing
from packages is much easier/quicker than recompiling from source, and
will help you narrow down the last working/nonworking wine version
before doing a proper git bisect.

All I have to do is run the script every time I update the PPA with new
Wine packages, and it's good.

Due to server space issues, I don't plan to archive daily package builds
(which is my next project).

Thanks,
Scott Ritchie