Set base direction of web site to RTL language for Hebrew

Yaron Shahrabani sh.yaron at gmail.com
Sun Oct 17 08:00:10 CDT 2010

On Sun, Oct 17, 2010 at 2:18 PM, Shachar Shemesh <shachar at shemesh.biz>wrote:

> On 17/10/10 13:52, Yaron Shahrabani wrote:
>
>> Waste of time, there are several objects that should be LTR (like the news
>> list) and some images that need to be flipped horizontally, plus I have
>> already done all the stuff I said, basically this patch is useless...
>>
> I will accept and admit your accusation of me not being psychic in sensing
> your incoming patches. Your patches are, indeed, more comprehensive than
> mine, but I believe they are inferior in at least one important aspect.

For some reason I got your patch only half an hour ago so I was absolutely
sure you sent it way later...

> You direct the code to load styles-rtl.css instead of styles.css. This
> encourages future site maintainers to perform changes to the CSS that will
> break the RTL version of it, due to not noticing the existence of the rtl
> version. I believe the approach I took, of including styles.css, and then
> including a second css only aimed at correcting the what needs to be
> corrected, would work better in the long run.

It is actually a linked CSS file...
I used @import ("styles.css") in order to maintain the original CSS, its the
same approach you took only from a different point of view and practically
there's no difference... (I can switch the method in a matter of click :) ).

> Another manifestation of this difference can be seen when you place a
> "dir=" directive on the <body> tag of "content_print.template". This is
> change does not pass strict HTML validation, and would be unnecessary had
> the two CSS approaches been used.

So they should be combined?