Surprise surprise, "Tmax Window OS" was a complete hoax

Scott Ritchie scott at open-vote.org
Tue Oct 19 00:45:50 CDT 2010

About a year or so ago a Korean company called Tmax was claiming to have
developed a new operating system that was 100% fully Windows compatible.
 They also claimed to have their own office suite, web browser, and
more, all developed with their own special Korean engineering to keep
the license proprietary.

This lead some here to justifiably worry that they were using Wine code
without permission, as well as dozens of other free software projects.

At the time I called it an obvious fraud.

Anyway I check backed in on it and, no surprise, Tmax Soft has disavowed
all knowledge of the project -- the website is dead, no news about it
has appeared since the "launch", and although there are several
quicksearches on their main website for the product they return no results.

Fortunately, with the exception of a few particularly bad tech
journalists, no one seems to have been actually fooled.

-Scott Ritchie