First contact

Andréas LIVET andreas.livet at gmail.com
Tue Oct 26 17:44:20 CDT 2010

Hi all wine developers,

I read this mailing list for about one year I guess but I think I never send
a message. Because until this Monday, I was a spectator, now I wanna become
an "actor", I want to learn how to hack wine :).

I don't have a lot of time, 1 hour/week, maybe more, but I just want to fix
some bugs, if I find some, and maybe more in the future. I'll take my time.

For info, I'm a video game developers for 2 years, so I'm a C++ programmer,
I know nothing about C (except what I know from the C++) and even if I'm
using exclusively linux (ubuntu) for 3/4 years at home, I'm not comfortable
with the POSIX development environment... Not that I'm a fan of Visual
C++/Visual Assist but I always use those tools (at school and then at work)
and wanted to learn something else.

I decided to start with a game (Paraworld, but it could be anything) which
can't load a level : when I hit the start game button, I got the loading
screen, the music etc. but nothing append. The mouse is still reacting, the
music still playing but nothing is loading.
There is nothing in the trace too, so I tried with the "WINEDEBUG=+relay",
error!! I ended quickly with a log > 300Mo before seeing the main menu!

I've seen that there is a patch which allows user to control when debug
trace will be display, but I don't know how to find it.
I found this page :
http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/msg05542.html

But I can't find the archive (the patch file), is there a place where we
could download patches?

Maybe my question is very simple, but I'm a beginner so be indulgent, please
:).

Other question, is there a way with winedbg to "pause" program execution
without having set any breakpoint. In my case, I don't know where to put the
breakpoint so I wanted to break the program execution and see where it ends.
This is possible with VCC, maybe it's not with winedbg?

Anyway, thank you for your time, and I want to congratulate all the wine
developers for their amazing work, win is getting better and better everyday
thanks to you,

Andréas

--Not sent from an iPhone.