Mono integration, and when do we ship Mono with Wine?

Scott Ritchie scott at open-vote.org
Wed Sep 1 21:50:32 CDT 2010

On 09/01/2010 04:24 PM, Vincent Povirk wrote:
> The one hard requirement I have and have not met is that a working
> mono package can be built by me using only free software and that I
> can explain the build process to other people. I can do this for the
> core runtime and libraries, but I cannot do this for the gluezilla
> dependency.

This is nice to have, of course, however I'll note that we don't
actually have this with gecko at the moment.  Since it's free to
redistribute it can still get into (most) distro repositories and
ultimately to users (in Ubuntu for instance wine-gecko sits in the
Multiverse repository).

So, depending on how amenable you are to the idea, I think it would be
ok to get it working on an integration level before we actually make it
buildable without windows.  Given the additional time and use case Mono
itself may very well have advance to make it buildable on free software
(as I believe Firefox is doing and why our next Gecko will be freely
buildable as well)

Thanks,
Scott Ritchie