Keeping people from trying iTunes in Wine?

Ben Klein shacklein at gmail.com
Fri Sep 10 08:04:42 CDT 2010

On 10 September 2010 21:47, אלעד <el.il at doom.co.il> wrote:
> it would be cool if a dialog like this will also show the howto (or
> other notes) from the appdb, it will be helpful for new users.

How many times does this have to come up before people finally realise
it's not a good idea?

1) Any form of automated AppDB processing is problematic, even
dangerous due to the variable quality of content.
2) Any additional dependence on internet connections is a bad idea.
3) All work and little benefit.
4) Other forms of application-specific behaviours are rejected by Wine
devs (e.g., app-specific Direct3D processing).

My main issue now is that Dan appears to be taking statistics from
Twitter in the same way that major companies take idiots for their
usability studies.
"Start the File Manager" "Where's the Start button?"
"Press any key to continue" "Where's the Any key? I see Esk, Ctarl, and Pig Up"

Wine cannot afford to hand-hold users too much. Let Codeweavers worry
about this for Crossover.