ptrace, pokerstars and Ubuntu 10.10

Michael Fox 415fox at gmail.com
Sun Sep 12 05:35:27 CDT 2010

Another possibility I'd like to suggest for fixing this in wine,
though maybe more extreme, is to make wine a setuid program and use
setuid in server/ptrace.c

The reason to do this is that there is certain other functionality
necessary for implementing the windows API that is almost impossible
without setuid. For example the linux program 'ping' needs to be a
setuid program. I can't see how you could ever implement the Microsoft
ICMP API in wine unless wine has setuid.

--

-
Michael