Sound on TestBot

Greg Geldorp ggeldorp at vmware.com
Fri Sep 17 08:55:58 CDT 2010

> From: Jörg Höhle
>
> Hopefully Francois Gouget will update his vmware machines with these
> drivers (or the ones Paul Vriens' uses) so that the timeouts will
disappear.

http://test.winehq.org/data/190c3518d66df44cfa464d8dc1ca3fd50ff6c361/xp_fg-w
inxp-sp3/winmm:midi.html

> Earlier this year, Julius Schwartzenberg found out that the timeouts in
> winmm tests on vmware could be avoided by installing another driver.
> http://www.winehq.org/pipermail/wine-devel/2010-March/082118.html

Note that most people probably use VMware Workstation. Workstation emulates
an
SoundBlaster (I think?) card, so there's actually virtual hardware in there.
This means you can install a normal SoundBlaster driver, the driver will
send
commands to the virtual hardware device which are then picked up by the
Workstation virtual hardware layer.

TestBot uses (mostly) VMware ESX VMs, which do not have virtual hardware
devices
for sound. The sound drivers I'm adding to the ESX VMs are pure virtual
drivers,
there's no (virtual) hardware below them.

Ge.