About the Gallium Direct3D 10/11 work

Luca Barbieri luca at luca-barbieri.com
Wed Sep 22 11:26:54 CDT 2010

> I do have a concern which I addressed in the Wine Users mailing list:
>
> Wine is not only used with Linux, it is also used with other *nix implementations, to include the one that use, MacOSX.  Will there be a port to this platform or some
> sort of 'hook' that will allow the use of your drivers on this platform.

If you want to use the Gallium D3D10/11 implementation on Mac OS X,
you will need a Gallium driver that can run on Mac OS X.

The software renderers probably already work.

For hardware acceleration, my proposal is to write a new Gallium
driver that uses OpenGL underneath and can thus run on any platform
providing OpenGL.

I think that implementing such a Gallium driver is easier than
implementing D3D10/11 from scratch, and will also benefit Mesa, since
it will be possible to test additions to the Gallium interface without
needing to write hardware-specific code or writing software
rasterization code.

I'm not sure if I'll write such a Gallium driver myself.
Contributions would be greatly welcome.
It's a fun project and certainly much easier than writing an actual
hardware driver.

Alternatively, you could port the kernel DRM and drivers to Mac OS X
and other systems, but that's much harder and much less user friendly.

At any rate, nothing stops Wine from also implementing D3D10/11 using
WineD3D or OpenGL, and using that if a Gallium driver is not
available.
Note however that D3D10/11 are totally different from D3D9, so I'm not
sure how much you can share (especially if you want a fast
implementation, which may be impossible anyway over OpenGL).