Right-To-Left (RTL) languages and Wine

Shachar Shemesh shachar at shemesh.biz
Wed Sep 29 10:43:12 CDT 2010

On 24/09/10 23:00, Alexandre Julliard wrote:
> Paul Vriens<paul.vriens.wine at gmail.com>  writes:
>

>> I see you made great steps in getting the RTL stuff working. The
>> Hebrew version of native winmine shows the menu's right-aligned now!
>>
>> What are the plans/ideas for the Wine builtin programs with respect to
>> RTL languages? I mean, how are we going to make the distinction
>> between LTR or RTL when builtin apps are run?
>>
> The apps that are ready for it will have to call SetProcessDefaultLayout
> when appropriate. I don't think we want to use the version resource for
> this, the mechanism is badly designed and would be painful to use.

If I might recommend something, I suggest not to use
SetProcessDefaultLayout at all. Just localize whatever needs
localization through the resources and that's it. Even for menus, the
resources have an option to define the menus as RTL.

The automatic mirroring process is, simply put, a broken idea, badly
implemented (I'm talking about Windows here, not Wine). I'm not even
sure that the Windows built-in applications use this hack, but even if
some do, that is no reason to go down that path.

Just my 2cents

Shachar

--
Shachar Shemesh