Right-To-Left (RTL) languages and Wine

Shachar Shemesh shachar at shemesh.biz
Wed Sep 29 12:51:17 CDT 2010

On 29/09/10 18:21, Alexandre Julliard wrote:
> Shachar Shemesh<shachar at shemesh.biz>  writes:
>

>> If I might recommend something, I suggest not to use
>> SetProcessDefaultLayout at all. Just localize whatever needs
>> localization through the resources and that's it. Even for menus, the
>> resources have an option to define the menus as RTL.
>>
> Most applications are not dialogs, so you can't mirror the application
> window through resources. For instance with notepad, you'd most likely
> want the edit control to be RTL too, not just the main menu.

Did I mention that the automatic mirroring is a broken idea implemented
in a broken way already?

At the moment, the edit control does not even properly support BiDi. I
do not have a Hebrew localized version of Windows on hand, so it's a bit
hard for me to check how that works, but even if we had a BiDi text
control, the only effect this localization would have is to set the
default direction of the control. The user would then switch it anyways.

Aside from notepad, for which the difference is very small, and most
people would regard a default LTR control as the correct behavior
anyway, what other applications are you concerned over?

Shachar

--
Shachar Shemesh
Lingnu Open Source Consulting Ltd.