RFC: Standardising the Help menus

Jerome Leclanche adys.wh at gmail.com
Fri Apr 1 10:33:13 CDT 2011

On Fri, Apr 1, 2011 at 4:02 PM, Francois Gouget <fgouget at free.fr> wrote:

> I am in the process of reviewing Wine's resource files and more
> specifically the menus of its applications, and even more specifically
> the Help menu for now.
>
> Currently they are a bit inconsistent and I propose to standardise them
> by following the GNOME interface guidelines. That is use the following
> structure:
>
>      Help
>          Contents      F1
>          About
>
> So here is the data I gathered on this eminently critical issue ;-)

Great summary. Inconsistent menus always bothered me in wine; had
filed bugs 18973 and 19347 for similar issues a while back. I'm really
happy about the recent cleanup of all the unimplemented menu items,
they were truly annoying.

My first instinct would have been to support the Windows guidelines,
but seeing as MS themselves do not respect them, there isn't much
point to that.

The KDE guidelines are very specific to KDE. The "What's this" is a Qt
feature which, for some reason, is being enforced on all KDE apps
(despite being completely unused, and usually unimplemented). It's
safe to say that overall, the KDE guidelines are pointless to follow
for Wine.

As for OO/Firefox, they tend to be Windows GUI designs ported to GTK
rather than the opposite, so it makes sense they would follow Windows
guidelines.

Fully agreed on supporting the HIG on that one.

--
Jerome Leclanche