gecko and native msvcrt

Jacek Caban jacek at codeweavers.com
Sat Apr 30 05:15:23 CDT 2011

On 4/29/11 11:58 PM, Eric Pouech wrote:
> Le 29/04/2011 23:07, Dan Kegel a écrit :
>> While testing a game with current gecko, I saw the error
>>
>> wine: Call from 0x7bc4ad90 to unimplemented function
>> msvcrt.dll._snwprintf_s,
>> aborting
>>
>> The game needed a native msvcrt, so I had installed one with winetricks,
>> and it didn't export that function.
>>
>> So it seems that new gecko is incompatible with old msvcrt,
>> and using native msvcrt as a workaround for bugs in wine's
>> version is going to be harder than it used to be.
>>
>> Time to fix more of them msvcrt bugs, I guess...
>> And/or find a more up to date msvcrt.dll for winetricks.
>>

> or link gecko against msvcr80 or msvcr90 instead of msvcrt

It's harder than it seems, esp. because it's not well supported by
mingw-w64. Also even if we did it, Wine would still forward these calls
to msvcrt, so one would need another native DLL. Given that, we need
more serious reason for the change than supporting hackish winetricks
verb. Fixing our msvcrt implementation is the way to go IMO.

Jacek