Assining .bat and .com files with the desktop

Damjan Jovanovic damjan.jov at gmail.com
Thu Aug 11 10:57:42 CDT 2011

On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 5:21 PM, Nowres Rafid <nowres.rafed at gmail.com> wrote:
> I propose to associate .bat and .com files with wine's cmd in GNOME, KDE and
> others

AFAIK COM files are ancient self-contained real-mode DOS code, with no
ability to load DLLs. Shouldn't they rather be loaded by DOSBox, which
we delegate DOS applications to on the AMD64 architecture anyway?

BAT files should associate with Wine, but on Windows double-clicking
them runs them in a terminal window (when last I checked). Thus we'd
have to create a new wine-cmd.desktop which associates with BAT files.
I'll look into it.

While I am at it, EXE files are not clearly Wine's either - they could
be real-mode DOS executables, or .NET code intended for Mono on *nix.
At some point, Wine/Mono/DOSBox and related projects need to have a
talk about some kind of arbitration mechanism.

Damjan Jovanovic