Assining .bat and .com files with the desktop

Damjan Jovanovic damjan.jov at gmail.com
Thu Aug 11 23:33:58 CDT 2011

On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 6:18 PM, Vincent Povirk <madewokherd at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm not sure DOSBox is able to competently open some random executable
> file. One would have to make a config file that sets up a drive
> mapping, runs the file, and quits. If Wine can do these things (and
> maybe also properly handle cases where the COM executable expects to
> be run on a windows machine or, say, a dos machine with win3.1
> installed), it seems like a fine choice to me.
>
> There's a non-zero chance that wine start /unix will actually start
> cmd and make a terminal for BAT files. It makes one for console
> executables. If it doesn't, there's a possibility that start.exe will
> do that on Windows, in which case that is a Wine bug that we should
> fix. You should test that before making a new thing.
>
> There was some talk on #mono (or #monodev) to the effect that the
> arbitration mechanism for different kinds of files is called mime
> types, and a DOS exe, x86/x64 PE exe, and CLR exe are all different
> and should have different mime types.

On Windows, double-clicking a BAT file causes it to open in a terminal
window which automatically closes after the file is finished running,
whereas using "start" cause the terminal window to stay open even
after the file is finished running.

On Wine using "start" wrongly closes the Window automatically, but
since that's what we want for a double-clicked BAT file, "wineconsole"
has the same behaviour and can be used instead. Unfortunately
wineconsole doesn't like *nix paths, so it can't be used from a
.desktop file directly...