OSA-applets on OS X

Per Johansson per at morth.org
Tue Aug 16 15:21:06 CDT 2011

Hi,

my first post to the list, be gentle. :)

I'd like some help to fix up the attached patch for submission. It's a change to winemenubuilder such that it will create an OSA applet instead of a .desktop file, when generating a file on the desktop (and only on the desktop). Obviously that's only useful on OS X, which has AppleScript.

The main thing left to do is that I'd like to have to hard coded default determined by configure instead, with an option to set it. I didn't find any other code in configure.ac doing such a thing though, so I'm unsure how and if it should be done.

I'm also unsure if it's ok to use posix_spawnp. I chose that function because as far as I can tell spawnvp does not allow me to send data to stdin, and popen requires the argument to be escaped, which seems unnecessary.

You'll also notice that I include a few environment variables in the applet. That's because by default applications launched on OS X will only have /bin:/usr/bin as path and only look for libraries in /usr/lib. That's not typical locations for wine on OS X and if the paths are not set the applet is unlikely to find the wine binaries.

The final point which should be considered is the copying of the icon file from /tmp to the location inside the applet. A more proper way is perhaps to generate the icon file in the correct place in the first place, but doing that requires rather large changes to the code, and this way was much more simple.

Any feedback is appreciated,
--
Per Johansson

Ps. If someone tries to apply it you'll probably get a conflict around line 3065 since the patch currently assumes that my other patch[1] to winemenubuilder is already applied.

[1] http://www.winehq.org/pipermail/wine-patches/2011-August/105396.html