dinput8 GSoC wrapup

Lucas Zawacki lfzawacki at gmail.com
Sat Aug 20 14:30:55 CDT 2011

Hey everyone, just sending you this email to give a heads up about the
status of my GSoC project.

I set out to implement the action mapping features of DirectInput8,
what I have now is:

* EnumDevicesBySemantics: Fully implemented
* SetActionMap: Fully implemented
* BuildActionMap: Fully implemented with the exception of loading
previous saved configurations.
* ConfigureDevices: Functional but still needs more functionalities
and some polishment

The patches that I accumulated this last 2 weeks and will start to
commit as of this next monday are here:

* https://gist.github.com/1146808
* https://gist.github.com/1154946
* https://gist.github.com/1159426
* https://gist.github.com/1159498

I'll keep working on the stuff that's missing to have the fully
functional action mapping, also I have to commit some documentation
and make some cleaning of the code.

By the way one nice thing I discovered this last weeks is that we may
even be able to use what MSDN calls "vendor defined mappings" and, for
instance, have a wheel or other exotic joystick perfectly mapped to
the application. What I'll need for this is implementing loading of
saved configurations, the device "Vendor ID/Product ID" property and
access to the mapping files deployed with a DirectX installation
(maybe we could download them with winetricks?).

All in all, I'd like to thank you all  for helping me trough this
project, especially Marcus Meissner and Vitaliy Margolen for reading
my patches  and giving invaluable advice :)