hhctrl: IDTB_XXX resource strings

Francois Gouget fgouget at free.fr
Mon Aug 22 08:41:11 CDT 2011

On Mon, 22 Aug 2011, Owen Rudge wrote:

> > What's the difference between 'Jump1' and 'Jump2'?
>
> Both are, it appears, toolbar buttons that can be customised by the help file
> developer and used to link to individual topics or URLs. The captions are
> customisable. The strings "Jump1" and "Jump2" themselves, as far as I can
> tell, should never be displayed to the user.

I see the strings being added to the toolbar with

   LPWSTR szBuf = HH_LoadString(buttons[dwIndex].idCommand);
   buttons[dwIndex].iString = (DWORD)SendMessageW(hToolbar, TB_ADDSTRINGW, 0, (LPARAM)szBuf);

But from there it's not clear to me they whether they will be used or
not. Did you specifically mean that only Jump1/2 would not be used or
does that apply to the other IDTB_XXX strings too?

And if they are never shown to the user should be no issue with removing
them, right? (or replacing them with hardcoded strings in the source)

                      Computers are like airconditioners
                They stop working properly if you open WINDOWS