Hebrew: update

Yaron Shahrabani sh.yaron at gmail.com
Tue Aug 23 07:52:12 CDT 2011

On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 12:43 PM, Francois Gouget <fgouget at free.fr> wrote:

> Did you really mean not to CC wine-devel?
Right sorry...

> > > I think you should really translate 'KeyID' In French it was translated
> > > to 'ID de clé'. So assuming there is a Hebrew word for 'key' then this
> > > would not remain as is.
> > This appears in a certificate, it is much more useful to the user than
> > the Hebrew tern (מזהה מפתח)...
>
> It's in a resource file which usually means the author (Juan Lang in
> this case) expects it to be translated. If it's not meant to be
> translated then it should either be removed from the resource file or
> marked as not needing translation (I have a patch for that, maybe I'll
> send it tomorrow).
I'm not translating so things will be translated, I also have to make
sure that the user experience is somewhat natural and pleasing,
translating this string is mostly confusing.

> > > Ideally you should translate the user-replaceable strings like 'package'
> > > and 'productcode'. But option names such as '/package' should remain as
> > > is of course.
> > Since we have certain RTL issues with the Linux kernel (Hebrew is
> > displayed in reverse) we discourage the translators to translate
> > strings that would probably appear there

> > > This is sort of a product name os it's always a bit dicey. Still,
> > > wouldn't it be better if 'Diagnostic Tool' was translated? At
> > > non-English speakers would understand what the purpose of the tool it.
> > Wasn't quite sure if it appears in a console or GUI, can you tell?
>
> It is displayed in a message box (so GUI).
Great, I will fix this in my next commit, for now it is perfectly fine...

> > Since we have certain RTL issues with the Linux kernel (Hebrew is
> > displayed in reverse) we discourage the translators to translate
> > strings that would probably appear there
>
> How does the Linux kernel get involved? Using Wine on the Linux console
> would be quite unusual. Usually it is run in a Gnome terminal, and Xterm
> or some other GUI equivalent. Don't these do their own handling of text
> independently from the Linux kernel?
Most terminal emulators doesn't support RTL besides MLTerm.
Wineconsole does not support Hebrew or Arabic script out of the box,
there are several fonts that should be installed in order to enable
that, AFAIK Arabic displayed in the right order but the letters are
not joined, I can check that and get back to you.

> [...]
> > > [...a lot more...]
> > >
> > > These are not translated and do not have their place in a PO file. They
> > > will prevent future translators working on this file from knowing what
> > > has been translated.
> >
> > They better not work on this... I need this to remain untranslated
> > until the Hebrew bugs in the Linux kernel will be fixed.
>
> In that case you should add translator comments indicating that the
> string should remain untranslated for the time being. A translator
> comment is a '#' followed by a space, but adding a second space so it
> lines up with the others makes it nicer. For instance:
>
>    #  DO NOT TRANSLATE: needs RTL fixes to the Linux kernel
>    #: cmd.rc:280
>    msgid "%s: File Not Found\n"
>    msgstr ""
>

> The translator comments will be preserved through the updates.
I'm translating using Virtaal, meaning I can't add comments while
translating and I guess other translators as well, I look at comments
but sometimes when I have many strings to translate I don't have much
time to stop and read each and every one of them, it takes a lot of my
(precious) time so for the sake of efficiency I let myself ignore some
of them, so do other Hebrew translators, But most of us do understand
that if a string is copied as-is it shouldn't be translated (Sort of
convention if you like).

It may seem odd but Hebrew, although a private case of Arabic is still
not handled the best way it should in computing, there are still many
nasty bugs so we do our best to give the Hebrew user the best
experience but its still not perfect as we want it to be and we value
the efforts of the developers that do help us but we understand if
they have no interest and it is fine by us besides I realize there are
much more important things to develop so we just leave it aside and
deal with what we can deal with our given tools.

Kind regards,
Yaron Shahrabani.