Testing edge cases and undocumented behavior

Francois Gouget fgouget at free.fr
Fri Aug 26 08:40:55 CDT 2011

On Fri, 26 Aug 2011, Scott Ritchie wrote:
[...]
> >    - APIs that take an 'LPSTR output_buffer, DWORD *buffer_size' pair of
> >      parameters. If they allow the programmer to pass 'NULL, &size'
> >      where size=0 as parameters to determine the required buffer size,
> >      then you can expect applications to make use of it even if the MSDN
> >      forgot to document it.

Just a word of caution here though (not related to Scott's patch which I
did not read but because I saw that case recently), if either Wine or
Windows request a larger than strictly necessary buffer, fixing Wine or
making it match Windows is not high priority.

[...]
> > Of course the first thing to test is that these are are actually
> > supported across a broad swath of the more recent Windows versions.
> >

> Do you think testbot handles that nicely?

Yes.

              E-Voting: It's not the people who vote that count.
                     It's the people who count the votes.