Severe regression in wine startup latencies

Ben Peddell klightspeed at netspace.net.au
Sun Aug 28 16:56:48 CDT 2011

On 29/08/2011 2:37 AM, Alan W. Irwin wrote:
> bash.exe-3.1$ time /z/home/wine/newstart1/MinGW/msys/1.0/bin/echo.exe
> hello
> hello
>
> real    0m0.503s
> user    0m0.080s
> sys     0m0.020s
>
> Also, I tried
> time (x; x; x; x; x; x; x; x; x; x), where "x" represents the complete
> echo command above, and the result was
>
> real    0m5.281s
> user    0m0.800s
> sys     0m0.200s
[snip]

> While I am doing those additional investigations, please consider the
> question of why there is a huge difference between built-in and
> executable latency for MSYS bash commands under wine.  To start that
> investigation it would be good to compare the wine results for those
> two cases with the Windows results for those two cases.  (I assume the
> two time results for built-in versus executable will be fairly similar
> in the Windows case, but that assumption needs to be checked.) I don't
> have access to Windows myself. Anybody up for doing that simple test
> and reporting the results back here?  The automatic MinGW/MSYS
> installer at http://sourceforge.net/projects/mingw/files/Automated
> MinGW Installer/mingw-get-inst/ makes it easy to install the relevant
> MinGW/MSYS software on both wine and Windows.

Under MSYS 1.0.17 running on Windows 7 x64 SP1:

bash.exe-3.1$ /bin/bash --version
GNU bash, version 3.1.17(1)-release (i686-pc-msys)

bash.exe-3.1$ alias x='/bin/echo.exe -n .'

bash.exe-3.1$ time x
.
real    0m0.031s
user    0m0.000s
sys     0m0.015s

bash.exe-3.1$ time (x;x;x;x;x;x;x;x;x;x)
real    0m0.296s
user    0m0.075s
sys     0m0.136s

This shows a latency of approximately 2 jiffies for each command - 1
jiffy in Windows is 15.6ms.

--
Ben Peddell
IT Support Bowen, Collinsville, Proserpine and Home Hill Catholic schools