buildbot status

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Mon Aug 29 03:10:58 CDT 2011

011/8/29 Frédéric Delanoy <frederic.delanoy at gmail.com>:
> On Mon, Aug 29, 2011 at 05:53, Dan Kegel <dank at kegel.com> wrote:
>> The buildbot now uses ccache, which sped up builds
>> tremendously.  Cycle time of build slaves with ccache
>> using is 10-11 minutes;
>
> Told you ;) From 14 mins to 10-11 mins, nice 25% speed up
> Although it may make things a bit slower in general for perfectly
> working patches at first try (extra IO to fill in the cache).
> However, if/once it's integrated with testbot, it should help even
> more (especially on slow CPUs)

Yes, first build is about a minute slower with ccache, but
there are so many cache hits on later runs that it's well worth it.
And slower CPUs totally love ccache; for the e8400, cycle
time went from 17 minutes to 11 minutes.  (I'm looking
forward to seeing how much it helps the celeron.)

I've made two more changes that bring the cycle time down
by 3 minutes, to 7-8 minutes on e8400/e9300/i7 slaves:
1) blacklist the slowest test, wininet/ftp, which took 1 minute all on its own
2) run the headless subset of tests in the background, in their own
wineprefix, with DISPLAY unset.
These tests don't need DISPLAY.  This saves another 2 minutes.

I'd say 7-8 minutes is fast enough for now.  Being able to pump
out a full build-and-test every 2-3 minutes from my little three-node
cluster, with only 8 minutes latency, is pretty cool.
- Dan