Wine FAQ edits

Albert Lee trisk at forkgnu.org
Wed Feb 2 09:09:16 CST 2011

On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 8:03 AM, Rosanne DiMesio <dimesio at earthlink.net> wrote:
> On Sat, 29 Jan 2011 13:18:40 -0500
> Albert Lee <trisk at forkgnu.org> wrote:
>

>> I notice you have reverted my edits to the FAQ on the wiki (
>> http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ?action=info ). As I was trying to clarify
>> the shell metacharacter information and operating system/platform
>> support, and add new file association instructions, I would like to
>> know why this happened and what changes should be done.
>>
> Albert,
>
> Besides the problems Vitaliy has pointed out with your edits, your repeated attempts to substitute "Unix" for "Linux" in multiple places is flat-out wrong. "Unix" is a trademarked name, with a specific meaning. It is not a generic synonym for Linux, BSD, etc. and should not be used as such.

While "UNIX" is a trademark for Open Group certification, it has long
existed as a generic term in engineering and academia to refer to the
to set of standards that define systems with this heritage, and where
these are being referred to it is much better than listing the
implementations (and Wine does run on "UNIX" certified platforms). The
Open Group even more strongly objects to the phrase "Unix-like".

-Albert