RFC: Adding Mac support to secur32/schannel.c

Charles Davis cdavis at mymail.mines.edu
Thu Feb 3 11:01:49 CST 2011

On 2/3/11 9:22 AM, James Mckenzie wrote:
> 2.  Building ANYTHING Unix'y on a Mac may require 'hacky' patches to get around some of the code issues.  Both of the known UNIX to MacOSX porting projects provide GnuTLS but have to patch it to build and work on MacOSX without stepping on the existing capabilities.
What are you talking about? MacPorts doesn't need patches for GnuTLS
anymore. Looking at GnuTLS's Portfile, there are no patch files pulled
in and no reinplace (i.e. sed -ie) operations.
> I tend to agree with Ken Thomases for MacOSX we should be using the native code vice adding a package that may not provide full TLS functionality and moving towards schannel functionality to the higher levels of code in Wine.
I'm for that. In fact, my humble opinion is that Wine on Mac should only
use libraries that are part of the OS (i.e. only dylibs in /usr/lib and
frameworks in /System/Library/Frameworks). There are a whole host of
benefits, not the least of which is that it makes binary distribution
easier (to date, Mac OS is one of the few platforms that does not have
an official binary distribution) and it could potentially expand our
user-base (since users would no longer have to have MacPorts or Fink or
Gentoo Prefix or use a third-party distro just to run Wine).

We've got a long way to go in that department, unfortunately. :(

Chip