Wine FAQ edits

Rosanne DiMesio dimesio at earthlink.net
Sun Feb 6 07:11:30 CST 2011

On Sat, 5 Feb 2011 21:49:30 -0500
Albert Lee <trisk at forkgnu.org> wrote:

> I think relying on tilde expansion can can be considered
> good practice for the interactive use case.

Tilde expansion doesn't work if there are quotes around the path, and if you search the forum, you will find instances of users who did not know that and didn't understand why they were getting "No such file or directory" messages.

$HOME is better because it can be used inside quotes, but what I have found to be most understandable to newbies is simply
/home/user/ with a note telling them to substitute their username for user. (Yes, there are people who need to be told that. This is the level of technical knowledge you are writing for in the FAQ.)

--
Rosanne DiMesio <dimesio at earthlink.net>