Wine for Solaris 10 x86 roadblocks

Ron Whites RCWhites at semanticdesigns.com
Fri Jan 7 12:23:37 CST 2011

I am a newbie to Solaris as well as Wine.

I downloaded Solaris 10 x86 on 12/6/2010 (how do I know the build/ver?)
and loaded it in a Virtual Machine on my Windows 7 Desktop.

Then recently I have been trying to get Wine om Solaris 10 working so
far with no success.

I downloaded Swine-sol10-1.1.40.7z  from http://www.sunfreepacks.com/

but I have not been able to unpack this by using "p7zip -d
Swine-sol10-1.1.40.7z" on my solaris.

It returns immediately to the terminal prompt and it apparently does
nothing but gives no error.

So at http://www.winehq.org/announce/1.1.19  I found another
Wine-1.1.19.tar.bz2

I used bunzip and then tar to get just Wine-1.1.19

I then did "./tools/wineinstall and encountered an error saying I
couldn't/shouldn't install under ROOT

so after making a user account via useradd I did

./tools/wineinstall again.

this time I received a line 149 syntax error

looking on the web I found

A bug report at
http://wine.1045685.n5.nabble.com/Bug-19321-New-Syntax-error-during-inst
allation-td1605805.html

That says Don't use 'wineinstall script', do './configure && make
install' instead.

Solaris10 doesn't have a make pre-installed and I can't find where I can
get one, so I am presently stuck again.

Sure seems a lot of road blocks so far, can anybody offer some
information to get me over the hurdles?