Wine for Solaris 10 x86 roadblocks

John Taylor jbt.oldemail at gmail.com
Fri Jan 7 13:19:29 CST 2011

On Fri, Jan 7, 2011 at 6:23 PM, Ron Whites <RCWhites at semanticdesigns.com> wrote:
> I am a newbie to Solaris as well as Wine.
>
> I downloaded Solaris 10 x86 on 12/6/2010 (how do I know the build/ver?) and
> loaded it in a Virtual Machine on my Windows 7 Desktop.
>

> Then recently I have been trying to get Wine om Solaris 10 working so far
> with no success.
>

> I downloaded Swine-sol10-1.1.40.7z  from http://www.sunfreepacks.com/
>
> but I have not been able to unpack this by using "p7zip -d
> Swine-sol10-1.1.40.7z" on my solaris.
>
> It returns immediately to the terminal prompt and it apparently does nothing
> but gives no error.

it probably converted Swine-sol10-1.1.40.7z to the file Swine-sol10-1.1.40
which (if I know Apostolos) is a Solaris pkg file which you will install
with :

# pkgadd -d Swine-sol10-1.1.40

Did you really expect a unarchiver to install a package for you?

> So at http://www.winehq.org/announce/1.1.19  I found another
> Wine-1.1.19.tar.bz2
>
> I used bunzip and then tar to get just Wine-1.1.19
>
> I then did "./tools/wineinstall and encountered an error saying I
> couldn't/shouldn't install under ROOT
>
> so after making a user account via useradd I did
>
> ./tools/wineinstall again.
>
> this time I received a line 149 syntax error
>
> looking on the web I found
>
> A bug report at
> http://wine.1045685.n5.nabble.com/Bug-19321-New-Syntax-error-during-installation-td1605805.html
>
> That says Don't use 'wineinstall script', do './configure && make install'
> instead.
>
> Solaris10 doesn't have a make pre-installed and I can't find where I can get
> one, so I am presently stuck again.
>

> Sure seems a lot of road blocks so far, can anybody offer some information
> to get me over the hurdles?

Compiling Wine for Solaris is not for the new to Solaris or the faint of heart.
It's like rocket science...

Ben