Wine for Solaris 10 x86 roadblocks

Charles Seeger seeger at cise.ufl.edu
Fri Jan 7 13:51:38 CST 2011

+------ "Ron Whites" wrote (Fri,  7-Jan-2011, 12:23 -0600):

| I downloaded Solaris 10 x86 on 12/6/2010 (how do I know the build/ver?)

NB: SunOS 5.N (plus networking, windowing, etc.) <=> Solaris N.

On a SPARC box (most easily available Sol10):

% uname -a
SunOS <hostname> 5.10 Generic_141444-09 sun4v sparc SUNW,SPARC-Enterprise-T5220
% cat /etc/release
                      Solaris 10 10/09 s10s_u8wos_08a SPARC
           Copyright 2009 Sun Microsystems, Inc.  All Rights Reserved.
                        Use is subject to license terms.
                           Assembled 16 September 2009

(BTW, "wos" stands for "wad of stuff".)

And on an x86 system running Solaris 11 Express:

% uname -a
SunOS <hostname> 5.11 snv_151a i86pc i386 i86pc
% cat /etc/release
                      Oracle Solaris 11 Express snv_151a X86
     Copyright (c) 2010, Oracle and/or its affiliates.  All rights reserved.
                           Assembled 04 November 2010

(BTW, "snv" stands for "Solaris next version".)

Do note that packaging and patching have changed radically in OpenSolaris
and Solaris 11, and that free access to security patches is no more.
Solaris 11 Express may have better driver support for your hardware.
You might want to search for the hardware compatibility list, though
beware that it may not be perfectly up to date, as it depends on user
submissions.  Also, there is something of a fork from OpenSolaris,
called OpenIndiana, which is another option to consider.  The Solaris
story is a bit complicated, beyond the scope of this reply.  8-)

| ./tools/wineinstall again.
| this time I received a line 149 syntax error

Most random software these days isn't regularly maintained on Solaris.
In this case, most shell scripts require a POSIX standard shell, though
bash-specific extensions frequently creep in.  On Solaris 10 /bin/sh is
the old SVR4 Bourne shell, while on Solaris 11 it is ksh93.  The /usr/bin
utilities are legacy versions on Solaris 10, while the standards compliant
utilities are in /usr/xpg4/bin.  On Solaris 11, /usr/gnu/bin is placed
first on the default user path.  "getconf PATH" is the standard method
to obtain a standard PATH, but it seems that no one observes it, and its
output hasn't been updated for Solaris 11 (which also has /usr/xpg6/bin).
So, generally, scripts will be problematic.

| A bug report at
| http://wine.1045685.n5.nabble.com/Bug-19321-New-Syntax-error-during-inst
| allation-td1605805.html
|
| That says Don't use 'wineinstall script', do './configure && make
| install' instead.

Yup.

| Solaris10 doesn't have a make pre-installed and I can't find where I can
| get one, so I am presently stuck again.

A full install will have a make, but it will be in /usr/ccs/bin/,
which is included in the output of "getconf PATH".

However, the Sun compilers are a separate install.  But, instead you
will need gcc and gnu make to compile wine.  These might already be in
/usr/sfw/bin (Solaris 11 has them in /usr/gnu/bin, with symlinks to
them in /usr/bin, e.g. "gmake").  Precompiled packages are available at
sunfreeware.com, opencsw.org and blastwave.org, as well as sunfreepacks.

| Sure seems a lot of road blocks so far, can anybody offer some
| information to get me over the hurdles?

The OpenSolaris releases from Sun were geared to be both more complete
with some popular software and more familiar to Linux users.  With the
Oracle acquistion there are no more of these, but the Solaris Express
preview releases are available with more restrictive licensing.

I can send configure options for Solaris 11, but I have never built wine
on Solaris 10.

HTH,
Chuck