today's git does not compile

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Wed Jan 19 08:35:14 CST 2011

On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 4:46 AM, Reece Dunn <msclrhd at googlemail.com> wrote:
> You need to run it with the command line given in your output in the
> directory where it was run. That is:
>
>   cd /home/susan/wine/dlls/winex11.drv
>
>   gcc -save-temps -m32 -c -I. -I. -I../../include -I../../include
> -D__WINESRC__  -D_REENTRANT -fPIC -Wall -pipe -fno-strict-aliasing
> -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wstrict-prototypes -Wtype-limits
> -Wwrite-strings -Wpointer-arith -Wlogical-op  -g -O2 -U_FORTIFY_SOURCE
> -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=0  -o pen.o pen.c

Perhaps more simply, you can do
  cd ~/wine-git
  ./configure CFLAGS="-O2 -save-temps"
  make
It should crash as usual, but this time you should see a pen.i file
laying around next to pen.o.
(Ignore the warnings about -pipe being ignored.)

Sadly, because of the way Wine generates its makefiles,
you can't just cd to dlls/winex11 yourself and do 'make pen.o',
it won't get the -save-temps option.

If you're not afraid of editing Makefiles, though, you can skip all the
above and do
 cd ~/wine-git/dlls/winex11
 vi Makefile   (and change -pipe to -save-temps)
 rm -f pen.o
 make pen.o
That's faster.
- Dan