Translating a same message used in different contexts

Francois Gouget fgouget at free.fr
Thu Jan 20 12:34:50 CST 2011

On Fri, 21 Jan 2011, Akihiro Sagawa wrote:
[...]
> In Japanese Windows, desktop directory name has following
> characteristics.
>  1.In Windows NT 4, localized with half-width katakana.
>  2.In Windows 2000, localized with full-width katakana.
>  3.In Windows Vista, no localization about directory name.
>
> Japanese version of Windows XP is the second one. The desktop folder
> path is C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\XXXXXX (where X is a Katakana
> characer). In this case, desktop directory name and its display name are
> same.
>
> But Wine uses the third style (Vista style) as of the commit 853d9938
> against shellpath.c.

Ah, sorry. I don't know about Vista and greater. So why does Wine do it
the Vista way?

This has changed so much that it seems like we should be able to pick
the scheme we prefer without breaking applications (or they would be
broken on Windows already). Given that I'd personnaly pick the XP way
(case 2).

So otherwise for context issues I believe the outcome of the WineConf
discussion was that we'd insert a prefix in the two strings to
translate, e.g. 'CTX-IDS_DESKTOP:Desktop' and
'CTX-IDS_DESKTOPDIRECTORY:Desktop', and have wrc remove it when
producing the localized resource files (i.e. detect that the string to
translate starts with 'CTX-' and remove everything until the colon).
That means the English resource must be 'translated' too.

That's unless we figure out a more sophisticated mechanism but the
problem was that the translation happens on the compiled resource so
there's not much data to work with (i.e. special comments are out).

     You can have my guns when you pry them from my kids cold, dead hands.