Translating a same message used in different contexts

Alexandre Julliard julliard at winehq.org
Thu Jan 20 12:44:19 CST 2011

Francois Gouget <fgouget at free.fr> writes:

> Ah, sorry. I don't know about Vista and greater. So why does Wine do it
> the Vista way?
>
> This has changed so much that it seems like we should be able to pick
> the scheme we prefer without breaking applications (or they would be
> broken on Windows already). Given that I'd personnaly pick the XP way
> (case 2).

Using non-localized names for directories is probably better, in case
the underlying filesystem doesn't support all character sets properly.

> So otherwise for context issues I believe the outcome of the WineConf
> discussion was that we'd insert a prefix in the two strings to
> translate, e.g. 'CTX-IDS_DESKTOP:Desktop' and
> 'CTX-IDS_DESKTOPDIRECTORY:Desktop', and have wrc remove it when
> producing the localized resource files (i.e. detect that the string to
> translate starts with 'CTX-' and remove everything until the colon).
> That means the English resource must be 'translated' too.

The prefix is actually #msgctxt#, but yes that's how it works, it's
already used in a couple of places.

Of course, if the directory is really supposed to be named Desktop in
all languages then we might as well remove it from the .rc file.

--
Alexandre Julliard
julliard at winehq.org