Glitch-free iTunes?

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 2 22:46:53 CDT 2011

On 7/2/11 7:49 PM, Keith Curtis wrote:

>     So: yeah, we know it's an important app.  But it's hard.
>     Feel free to help out.
>     - Dan
>

> Hi;
>
> I am glad to hear you say that iTunes is an "important" app, but I
> don't understand what you mean because it has never worked.
>
> You don't need my help. You've got a big group making many good fixes.
> It is just that priority is being ignored or something. Failure is not
> from lack of effort, but from planning.

Keith:

Maybe you missed Dan's point.  iTunes, for a while, did work.  Most of
the work to get it to work has been by volunteers and it remains up to
the volunteer side of the project to 'make it so'.   Syncing an iPod did
work as far as I knew using the USB device patches.  Also, this is,
mainly, an all-volunteer effort.  I, for instance, picked up three
richedit functions that are very near and dear to the functioning of
several programs that I use.  There is a long known work-around, but I
would like to see appropriate code included in the Wine project so that
the work-around is no longer needed.

iTunes on the Linux platform may or may not be forthcoming.  Making
iTunes work on any flavor/distribution of Linux might take a very
interested and talented user with programming skills in 'c' to generate
the code and get appropriate fixes made in the Wine code.  Attempts have
been made and some successes gained, but more needs to be done and
mostly by a small staff of volunteers.

Project priorities might say 'make this work' but without appropriately
interested and skilled volunteers, iTunes might not be working under
Linux anytime soon.

James McKenzie