Experimental website for tracking translation issues

Francois Gouget fgouget at free.fr
Thu Jul 21 04:28:45 CDT 2011

On Thu, 21 Jul 2011, Alexandre Julliard wrote:

> Francois Gouget <fgouget at free.fr> writes:
>
> > I think we can ignore thin non-breaking spaces like everyone else
> > (Gnomefr for instance). At least for now. However, based on your
> > previous comment and the fines.pdf report, it seems like putting
> > non-breaking spaces everywhere in Wine should be safe enough.
> > Does anyone object?
>
> That's only necessary for messages that get wrapped automatically,
> i.e. in message boxes. In general you don't want it for things that are
> shown on the command line.

It sounds like following these rules will be complex which means they
won't really be followed. Also for places where it makes no difference
I'd prefer to use the typographically correct string.

So my preference would be that we use non-breaking spaces everywhere
except where they break things, and I'm hoping the exception is either
'never' or 'except in command line applications' which would be simple
enough.

Do we actually have evidence that regular (non-thin) non-breaking spaces
break things on the command line? According to the fines.pdf report they
seem to be working everywhere (except in mrxvt which I'll just ignore).
I suspect the author did not test any non-UTF8 locale however...

http://malaria.perso.sfr.fr/fines/fines.pdf

 Advice is what we ask for when we already know the answer but wish we didn't
                                 -- Eric Jong