A request about the release notes

Scott Ritchie scott at open-vote.org
Wed Jun 1 19:30:29 CDT 2011

When 1.3.19 came out it changed the build requirements for OSS support
-- OSS 3 was no longer supported and OSS 4 dev libraries were required
at build time.

This was the changelog:
    New sound driver architecture for MMDevAPI.
    Better support for relative mouse events in DInput.
    Debugger support for the ARM platform.
    Various improvements in D3DX9.
    More MSVC runtime functions.
    Various bug fixes.

At least two distros broke their OSS support as a result, since the
standard "update wine version but use same packaging" didn't return a
complete Wine anymore.  In my case I only noticed when a bug report came
in and I manually looked at the package build log.

This sort of thing would be much less likely to happen if such a build
dependency change were noted in the release notes, such as a "OSS 3 no
longer supported" bullet point.

Thanks,
Scott Ritchie