How to do single-step debugging while testing?

Michael Mc Donnell michael at mcdonnell.dk
Fri Jun 24 15:46:45 CDT 2011

On Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 3:24 PM, Michael Mc Donnell
<michael at mcdonnell.dk> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 2:56 PM, Stefan Dösinger <stefandoesinger at gmx.at> wrote:
>> On Friday 24 June 2011 14:44:10 Michael Mc Donnell wrote:
>>> Now I want to connect my graphical debugger. I enter "target remote
>>> localhost:57380" in ddd's command line and it connects. But how do I
>>> attach the source code and so on (I'm use to debugging in Eclipse and
>>> VS)?
>> I'm not sure about that, I never used any graphical debuggers with Wine. But
>> gdb(and winedbg) always found the Wine source, my assumption was that the path
>> to it is stored in the binaries, so ddd should automatically find it.
>
> Well I guess I can go old school with the command line version instead :-)

So much for going old school. It does work, but it's next to useless
for the stuff I'm doing. I really miss having a list of all the
variables in the stack frame with their values, and seeing the code as
I step through it.

I tried again to follow the instructions from
http://www.winehq.org/docs/winedev-guide/dbg-others but I could not
get ddd nor kdbg to work. ddd comes up with "A syntax error in
expression, near `0x681f2fbd'." and an empty source view. kdbg comes
up and it does not find the sources either. The following error
message is displayed "Unknown or malformed query Attached" when the
test is run. After a few exceptions the test runs to the end.

Does anyone use a graphical debugger?