WineHQ Bug 26271

Michael Stefaniuc mstefani at redhat.com
Wed Mar 2 11:41:39 CST 2011

Hello Juan,

Juan Lang wrote:
>>> Once again, packages with custom patches can't be supported through WineHQ
>>> bugzilla for obvious reasons. If the packager knows what he/she is dooing by
>> I disagree with this statement. Each distribution modifies the upstream
>> Wine in one way or the other. And a blanket "Screw you, use upstream
>> Wine if you want support" doesn't cut it. The distributions are for us
>> the main consumers of Wine and we should help them provide a good Wine
>> experience to their users.
>
> I don't understand.  How are we supposed to support our distributions
> when they include unsupported patches?
Wine is big and those patches cover only a small aspect. E.g. if a
distribution reports a crypt32 bug it doesn't matter if they use
winepulse.drv or not, right? I'm just opposing the blanket "reject all"
distribution Wine binaries created from modified source. For the Wine
aspects modified by the distributions the distributions will have to do
the heavy lifting. But the way we word that matters too. And of course
we are always free to request a bug reporter to try to reproduce the bug
with unmodified/latest Wine source.
bye
	michael