WineHQ Bug 26271

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Fri Mar 4 15:25:09 CST 2011

Dmitry Timoshkov wrote:
> Are you going to encourage packagers to include whatever patches
> they deem to be "an important feature" for the users, and still claim
> that provide an official Wine binary package?

There's a middle ground: ship both vanilla and patched wine, and make
vanilla the default.

I can even imagine distros packaging them up so they can both
be installed at the same time.
For instance, vanilla wine might be /usr/bin/wine as usual,
but one patched for bug 6971 might be
/usr/libexec/wine/wine-1.3-hotfix-6971/bin/wine.
The patched one would be buried (kind of like gcc's internal files are buried)
so they're easy for frontends like winetricks to use when present,
but hard for casual users to accidentally use.

Bug 6971 is the only one that comes to mind immediately as worth
the effort, as it makes many games unplayable
( http://appdb.winehq.org/viewbugs.php?bug_id=6971 ).

It occurs to me that fixing or providing a hotfix for this one bug,
would get rid of most of PlayOnLinux's incentive to provide
their own patched builds of wine.
- Dan