New winetricks-alpha 20110306: new game Crysis 2 Demo and seven others, new dll dinput, lots of bug fixes; ie8 now works

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Sun Mar 6 23:53:50 CST 2011

On Sun, Mar 6, 2011 at 9:47 PM, Vitaliy Margolen
<wine-devel at kievinfo.com> wrote:
> On 03/06/2011 10:36 PM, Dan Kegel wrote:
>> Why, do you think adding it was a mistake?
>
> Because native dinput can only fix 1-2 open bugs, but break lots more:
> - No mouse warping (as already mentioned)
> - No joystick support

It'll only break things if people use it, and I don't expect them to use it
unless they're playing the one or two games that need it.

Do you think people just load dlls at random, and then complain when they
break things?  You may have a point there, but increasingly, users don't
play around with individual DLLs, they expect canned recipes for whole games,
so maybe fewer people will try it than you think.

Would it help if I put a warning on the verb?

Or do you think that having it at all is a bad idea?   If so,
you probably think that about a lot of winetricks verbs.
Are there others in particular that you have seen cause grief?
- Dan