Wine Gecko 1.2.0 RC1

Jacek Caban jacek at codeweavers.com
Thu Mar 10 12:33:14 CST 2011

Hi all,

I'm happy to announce that the new update of Wine Gecko packages is
almost there. It took long time since last beta to get to RC point from
beta, not only because of many changes on our side, but mostly because
of delays in Mozilla release process. We've done everything I've hoped
to be done (and even more than I expected). I'm also happy that it was
much better tested than previous times (mostly because they were
available for so long). So far I'm aware of only one regression in
Outlook that probably won't block the release because it seems to be a
problem on Wine side (I can't be sure as I wasn't able to reproduce it
so far). If I've missed something, please let me know.

I'd appreciate help with testing. Builds are on Sourceforge [1]. To use
it, just grab MSI files and put it into the directory where usually CAB
files would go and apply the attached patch. Please let me know about
any regression you notice.

* CHANGES *

- The CAB file is created without external dependencies
Thanks to Alexandre for cabinet work.

- We use MSI installers
Thanks to Hans for winemsibuilder and preparing scripts that made it
possible.

- winedbg works with Gecko debug builds
Thanks to Eric for many fixes to dbghelp/winedbg. Once he will merge his
work to Wine, we will be able to use winedbg for comfortable Gecko debugging

- win64 build now works
- a few bug fixes
- I've got rid of some Gecko ugly things like using API hooks

* FURTHER PLANS *

Firefox 4 RC1 came out yesterday and is expected to be the final build
(so far nothing that would require another RC was found). Mozilla
estimates release to be out in a week or two. I'm tempted to not wait
and release early next week (so that it will live in Git for at least a
few days before Wine release), but we will see how it will work. If we'd
find any new blocker, it would most likely mean that we will release a
week later.

* FOR PACKAGERS *

If you are interested in building the packager yourself from sources (so
far I've heard about Debian and Fedora attempts to do so), everything is
ready to support it now. Building instructions changed a bit after
switching to use MSI files, but I've made things as easy as possible.
Building the package itself is a matter of invoking one script with
proper arguments. The tricky part is that Wine is needed for building,
so we get circural build-time dependency. The script, however, makes
sure that Wine doesn't need Gecko during compiling Gecko, so it
shouldn't be a big problem to handle. Also, unless you manually set
WINEPREFIX, the script created a temporary wineprefix directory, so
there is nothing to worry if your ~/.wine is in broken state. It can
also use Wine from its build dir if you set WINE_BUILD_DIR environment
variable. Please let me know if there are more problems than need to be
addressed and feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

Thanks,
     Jacek

[1] http://sourceforge.net/projects/wine/files/Wine%20Gecko/1.2.0-rc1/