Xbox 360 controller compatibility

Alesh Slovak aleshslovak at gmail.com
Sun Mar 20 09:20:19 CDT 2011

Hi,

I apologize if this question has come up before, I could not find a search
feature in the mailing list archives and google didn't give me much on the
subject.

I am interested in getting the Xbox 360 controller working in wine.
Currently, I can use the controller, but it is recognized only as a generic
controller. This is acceptable (although annoying) for games that allow me
to freely configure the controller, but others seem to specifically look for
an Xbox 360 controller, and when they can't find it, drop to keyboard
controls.

Firstly, I am not even sure this is something that should or can be handled
in wine. Maybe this needs to be handled in the xpad kernel module, or maybe
both. But my guess is that wine would need to detect an Xbox 360 controller
and then explicitly present it as such to any games. I guess the first step
would be to find out how exactly games detect the Xbox 360 controller under
Windows and try to emulate that. Any other previous attempts that anyone
knows of? I would appreciate it if anybody out there who has any knowledge
in this area, can point me in the right direction.

Thanks.