d3dx10: Float16To32Array and Float32To16Array (GSoC)

Stefan Dösinger stefandoesinger at gmx.at
Sun Mar 20 17:42:59 CDT 2011

On Sunday 20 March 2011 22:29:34 Joshua Beck wrote:
> I erred on the side of caution because I didn't want to spend all summer
> working on a project that I couldn't finish.
Finding the right amount of work is certainly tricky. Luckily d3dx9 has many
functions, so if you find out that you have plenty of time left you can include
extra work in your project later on. You don't have to get the set of work
perfect at the start - reevaluating the amount of work needed and adjusting
the goals during the project is part of gsoc.

However, finding a most likely doable, but not overly simple set of work does
improve the application. We'll provide feedback on this(as I just did, I hope
others who know the library better will jump in if I am telling you incorrect
things)

> However I do have other
> ideas that I would also like to implement. For instance, I would be
> willing to implement the D3DXSave[Surface/Texture]ToFile* functions for
> all file formats currently supported by WINE.
Wrt this specific function we already have some related infrastructure for
D3DXLoadSurfaceFrom* . Also other parts of Wine(gdi32.dll, windowscodecs.dll)
have functions for handling various on-disk file formats which can(and should)
be used. (That's just some generic implementation hint, it doesn't mean that
it makes the idea good or bad)