[GSoC] Merge winecfg and Control Panel

Tony Zhang niu.tony.c.zhang at gmail.com
Wed Mar 23 00:11:33 CDT 2011

Hi everyone,

I am a senior student double majoring in Computer Science and Math at
Northern Illinois University (currently applying the CS Master Program at
NIU) and I would like to participate in merging winecfg and control panel
through the Google Summer of Code program.

I have used wine since wine 0.9 and 'm now using wine 1.3. I like the idea
that all config tools should be grouped and managed at one place, and it
would be nice to have them similar to the classical windows control panel
(like the control panel in wine 1.3).

About my programming background, I believe I know (and love) C the best. I
have not had any internships before, but I'm currently working as an
undergraduate Research Assistant at NIU. It is a Proton Computed Tomography
(Proton CT) project and the main language in use is C, so I do have some
experience of using C in a large-scale project.

I have briefly walked through Owen Rudge's code of splitting out the Desktop
Integration tab into its own control panel, but have no luck in getting a
decent understanding of it. So I'm hoping some of you can point me to some
documents that related to this task so I can have an overall understanding
of the challenges of this task.

Sincerely,
--
Tony (Chi Zhang)