Wine compatibility

Adam Kłobukowski adamklobukowski at gmail.com
Wed Mar 23 03:47:32 CDT 2011

Hello

I have a question for Wine developers, not 100% related to development,
so: please excuse me for wasting your time.

Officially sated, Wine wants to be 'bug-by-bug' implementation of
Windows APIs. On the other hand, it is known that all (?) version of
Windows contain 'hacks' to make important and not well behaving
applications work (mostly workarounds for application bugs). This
'hacks' work by detecting that a faulty app is running, and turning
special 'hack' mode for such app. Because of this, black box testing
often used by Wine developers will not detect such workarounds, and
applications that (seem to) work perfectly well under Windows, will not
work under Wine.

Is there a solution for this? What is Wine devs position on this matter?

Side question: Windows could make a 'clean start' with 64 bit
environment, did they?

Thank you for your time.

Adam Klobukowski