Ubuntu's next release and raising hard ulimit on ubuntu

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Fri Mar 25 10:13:18 CDT 2011

Nope, this isn't about the select() limit.
The soft limit on file handles should stay at 1024 so apps that use select()
don't break.
Apps like wine that have already switched away from select should be able to
raise their soft limit if they want more file desciptors.  Wine already does
this.
But ubuntu is misconfigured by default with a hard limit identical to the
soft limit.
It's time for ubuntu to fix this by raising the default hard limit on file
desciptors in /etc/security/limits.conf.
Users who need this can edit that file to make their games work, but they
shouldn't have to.

(Topposted from my cellphone)

On Mar 25, 2011 8:03 AM, "Paul Chitescu" <paulc at voip.null.ro> wrote:

On Friday 25 March 2011 03:26:25 pm Dan Kegel wrote:
> Scott, correct me if I'm wrong, but does Natt...
This is not an Ubuntu limitation but rather of the (g)libc API
implementation.

At least on glibc it is possible to increase the FD_SETSIZE at build time.
Been there, done that, got the T-shirt. No need for header patching.

http://yate.null.ro/websvn/filedetails.php?repname=yate&path=%2Ftrunk%2Fengine%2FSocket.cpp

Caveat: FD_... operations take longer if FD_SETSIZE is increased.

On all relevant platforms it is possible to check if a fd is above the
limit.
The application code must do so.

Best is to internally replace select() with poll() on platforms that support
it.