RFC: wined3d: Check for and use FBO blits early in BltOverride

Stefan Dösinger stefandoesinger at gmx.at
Sun Mar 27 03:57:17 CDT 2011

On Sunday 27 March 2011 06:26:47 Chris Robinson wrote:
> After some testing and talking with Henri, it seems a number of checks
> aren't needed if FBO blits are available, particularly the
> swapchain/active render target checks. The attached patch makes
> BltOverride check for FBO blits earlier, which helps it catch more cases
> where blits can be accelerated. It provides a significant improvement with
> the aforementioned programs.
BltOverride is a horrible mess, and I'm afraid the patch doesn't make it any
better. A long time ago Roderick started a cleanup to give the blit selection
routine a more structured approach, but he never finished the work.
Unfortunately a proper fix is not a weekend task :-(

Besides simple unconverted blits we should also be able to do converted blits
via FBOs + shader draws, e.g. to blit a YUV surface to an offscreen render
target. This is needed for HW accelerated video playback with quicktime. And I
am sure there are many other things that need to be considered.