D3D performance debugging report

Henri Verbeet hverbeet at gmail.com
Mon May 2 07:16:43 CDT 2011

On 2 May 2011 13:20, Emanuele Oriani <emaentra at ngi.it> wrote:
> Hi, let me agree with you... probably there might be one or two fixes
> somewhere which will make performance go better, but apparently the idea is
> that now, if "early optimization is the root of all evils" was true a while
> a go, I guess we're at a place where all the small optimizations should take
> place.
There's a difference between "early" and "premature", but I guess it's
subtle. I don't agree with the concept of "Anything goes as long as it
improves performance for someone, somewhere."

> For example, the main issue with SC2 is that if you don't set the affinity
> of all threads to one core, the game will go slower by 40%; for this reason
> I think this game suffers of other issues related to other wine components
> (than D3D) and/or Linux scheduler.
> The main issue with SC2 is that setting different shaders level will heavily
> impact the game; and I'm running on a 470 GTX: this shouldn't be the case.
> Should we probably looking into the way we generate shaders (both GLSlang
> and ARB ones)?
> Another point, what about how we handle offscreen buffers? All FBO etc etc?

Most of it really does come down to careful debugging / benchmarking,
I'm afraid. There's plenty of speculation, but at some point someone
just has to do the actual work.

> If I remember correctly someone was working on a worker thread for D3D. Did
> we abandon tis project?
Not as such, but to my knowledge nobody is currently actively working
on that. This is also one of those things that's a lot harder than it
looks.