Question about ddraw implemtation

Stefan Dösinger stefandoesinger at gmx.at
Fri May 13 05:33:06 CDT 2011

On Friday 13 May 2011 01:36:09 Ralph Little wrote:
> Hi,
> Further to my last post, I can confirm that the pixelformat structure is
> completely empty.
> A quick dump of the DDPIXELFORMAT structure shows that:
Can you show us the entire DDSURFACEDESC2 structure?

> b) DDPIXELFORMAT is properly filled in for some default behaviour.
That's most likely, although there is no sensible default for this. We don't
even know if the app wants a RGB surface, a Paletteindexed surface, a YUV
surface etc. Probably Windows creates a surface with the format of the primary
surface. I think this is what happens when the app doesn't specify
DDSD_PIXELFORMAT in the DDSURFACEDESC2.

> If anyone can try this out in (real) DirectDraw and let me know what
> happens that would be really cool.
See dlls/ddraw/tests/dsurface.c. If you don't have a Windows machine to run
tests yourself you can either use winetestbot or ask someone to run it for you
on #winehackers. The latter is recommended because winetestbot uses VMs only.
There is basic ddraw support in those VMs(VMware), but it may be different from
real GPUs.