Big ugly build changes might be needed for Debian/Ubuntu

Ove Kåven ovek at arcticnet.no
Sun May 22 05:53:02 CDT 2011

Den 21. mai 2011 19:38, skrev Scott Ritchie:
> Well now we can just Depends: wine:i386 or similar, I think.

Last time I asked, they said the first multiarch implementation will not
support that. The implementation cost of that would be very high (among
other things, it might violate the current architecture
self-containment), and the number of packages needing it is too small.

> I don't mean the multiarch change, I mean the "build daemons will not
> allow have foreign multiarch build dependencies" change, which I guess
> isn't a change so much as it is a property of the new system.

Well that's not any different from how it works now. There wouldn't be
any management implications of that.

>> Multiarch has no management implications whatsoever for the build
>> daemons. All official Debian architectures are perfectly self-contained
>> as they are. (Some of them currently contain cross-compiled pieces of
>> other architectures, which would go away, but that does not concern the
>> build daemons or the infrastructure.)
>
> Multiarch with foreign architecture build support would eliminate the
> self-containment, wouldn't it?

As far as the infrastructure is concerned, it is the runtime
dependencies that are important.

Until now, nothing in Debian had foreign architecture support, apart
from Arch:all packages (which don't really count), which is why we now
have the abomination that is ia32-libs. For the first version of
multiarch, the buildds and dak are not going to change - only the
package managers (and package build tools) would need to be aware of
multiarch. Maybe foreign architecture support for the archive tools are
added later, maybe not. Either way, infrastructure maintenance is not
going to get easier.