Re: GSoC-2011: Implement Missing Mesh Functions in Wine’s D3DX9

Joris Huizer joris_huizer at yahoo.com
Thu May 26 06:14:34 CDT 2011

On 05/26/2011 10:33 AM, Michael Mc Donnell wrote:

> I've added some more tests to see if I could make it fail. Microsoft's
> UpdateSemantics is not very picky. I can't get it to return anything
> but D3D_OK except for when I pass a null pointer. My implementation
> follows this behavior except for two cases: it returns E_FAIL when
> passing an undefined type and when the offset is not 4 byte aligned.
> This is because the values are checked inside vertexdeclaration_init.
> So Wine is stricter. I don't think that it is necessarily a problem
> because applications that pass bogus declarations like those will
> likely not work anyway. My own tests with a small interactive demo
> show that in those cases the application will crash with an access
> violation when it tries to re-draw the scene.

I don't know whether it applies here, but if I understand correctly,
  there have been cases before that Wine must not be stricter than Windows.
Tthe reason is that a program may 'depend' on a function crashing (it
having an exception caught in that case).
In such a situation, Wine's version of the function not crashing would
cause a code path being executed
  that normally never is (causing incorrect behavior even)

Again I don't know whether it is relevant in this cause.

HTH,
Joris