MS XInput*.dll implementation

Saulius Krasuckas saulius2 at ar.fi.lt
Tue Nov 1 16:58:29 CDT 2011

* On Wed, 2 Nov 2011, Alexey Loukianov wrote:
> 01.11.2011 18:54, Jerome Leclanche wrote:
> >
> > I'm no expert in any *input* API, but it sounds like it would be better to
> > reimplement dinput under the xinput api; similarly to how audio has been
> > handled.
>
> Despite being more recent API XInput actually is less capable than DI8. Most
> correct way to compare these API's would be to think about DI8 as a "general
> and pretty complicated API for handling input devices" while XInput is more
> likely "API for handling some Xbox360 game input controllers". You may wish to
> read Wiki page titled something like "XInput vs. DirectInput" for more
> detailed analysis.

I am just another bystander as well, but a year ago (as was brought in by
Austin E. a few msgs ago) Roderick Colenbrander wrote about a possibility
(and arising problems) doing this just a way round:

http://www.winehq.org/pipermail/wine-devel/2010-June/084395.html

Some other guys (more or less related to input, eg. Vitaliy Margolen,
Alexandre Julliard, Marcus Meissner) on the same thread have said XInput
can work only when done directly (via X11).

S.